Low carb meals quiz
Test your knowledge about carbohydrates, insulin resistance and low carb meals
How much do you know about carbohydrates?
If you have insulin resistance, you’ve probably read a lot about carbohydrates and what effect they have on insulin production. I thought I knew some basic truths about low carb meals, but in fact, since being diagnosed as insulin resistant and by researching this more fully, I’ve found out some surprising things!
If you’d like to know more, see how many of the following you get right…
With regard to insulin resistance – are the following statements true or false?
- The main thing to understand is the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates
- Eating fruit is a bad idea because it is full of fructose
- Brown/wholemeal versions of bread, rice and pasta are not much better for you than their white counterparts
- Foods that are labelled “high fiber” are not always good choices
- The Glycemic Index can help you decide which carbohydrates to include in your diet
- You can have coffee on a low carb diet
- Potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, cereals and all forms of sugar must be restricted, if not eliminated.
Insulin Resistance Diet and Travel
As many of you may know, I live in Sydney, Australia, but originally come from England. Although I don’t make the trip back to the UK as often as I would like, when I do get on one of those long-haul flights, I know I’ll be sitting in one place for many, many hours at a time. So how can you keep to an insulin resistance diet when you travel?
Insulin resistance diet tips
Over the months of following an insulin resistance diet, I have found that certain things have helped and others haven’t worked. It depends on the individual, of course, but I thought it would be good to list a few tips to help others who might be in this situation. This post is more about keeping yourself motivated – for practical tips to get over a weight loss plateau, there are several strategies to help you here.
It’s tough being insulin resistant! This is no ordinary weight loss journey and the discipline required is harder than for most people. You will sometimes notice that you’re not losing weight, or that your appetite/cravings seem to have come back with a vengeance. You may be incredibly bored with the food you’re “allowed” to eat and need some inspiration to continue. Sound familiar?!
OK – here are my insulin resistance diet tips to stay motivated and on track: Continue Reading »